27 Feb 2017

What Do I Do if I Have an Accident at Work?

If you’ve been involved in an accident at work, you might be wondering what to do next. In this article, we’ll advise you on how you can proceed.

Firstly, when you’ve been involved in an accident at work, your employer is obligated to provide you with appropriate medical attention.

Following this, you need to make sure that your accident is reported properly. Your employer is legally required to keep a record of your accident. If your employer does not record the details of your accident, you should keep a record of it yourself, and send a copy to your line manager, and the HR department if there is one.

If the accident requires you to take more than ten days off work, your employer should also report the accident to the Health and Safety Executive, the national watchdog for accidents, illnesses and safety issues at work.

If you need to take time off work, you may want to check your contract to find out if you are entitled to sick pay. While you should be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, you may be entitled to additional payments through your employer.

Besides this, you should also ensure that you have your own personal record of what happened in the accident. If you are able to, you could take photos of the scene right after the accident occurs – before it is altered in any way. You should also take a written note of anyone who may have observed the accident taking place.

If you have sustained injuries following your accident at work, you may wish to make a compensation claim. The amount of compensation that you can claim will depend on the type of injuries that you have sustained. You can get an idea of how much you may be eligible to claim by using our compensation claim calculator.

To find out how Winn Solicitors can help you to claim compensation following an accident at work, contact us today on 0800 988 6288 or speak to an advisor using live chat at the bottom of the page.

Share this article

Back to News