• An image of a woman working at a desk in an office

Request a Callback

Looking to make a claim? Leave your details and we’ll call you back at a time to suit you.

Claiming Compensation for an Accident at Work

If you have had an accident at work, you will know that it can be extremely stressful for a number of reasons, such as the extent of injury, the need for time off from work, and the worry of job security should you make a claim against your employer. Despite all of that the team at Winns are here to put your mind at rest, and to get you the help and work injury compensation that you deserve.

For a start, don't worry about recriminations. You are entitled to make a claim if you have suffered an accident at work, and it is against the law for an employer to hold any accident at work compensation claim against you. It is an employer's duty to ensure your safety at work, but if an accident does happen it will most likely be covered by their employer's liability insurance.

Your employer has a duty of care to you, but know that you can make your claim for an accident that wasn't your fault in good conscience. It won't affect your job, or reflect badly on you in the eyes of your employer.

What qualifies as an accident at work

An accident at work can take many different forms, including falls, electric shocks, manual lifting injuries, vision loss, burns, and injuries from machine usage, amongst others. If the incident took place in the workplace, or as part of the execution of your duties, then you are entitled to claim.

Whether your injury is minor or severe, you can get access to the necessary medical treatment as part of your work injury compensation claim with Winns. If you have received an injury through carrying out your day-to-day role, or through inadequate health and safety procedures, then speak to us today using LiveChat to start an accident at work compensation claim.

Absolutely fantastic service from Winn Solicitors. Kept me Informed every step of the way. I loved that I could access all documents online as Well. Highly recommended.

Christina Hill 

Making a claim for work injury compensation with Winns

Starting accident at work compensation proceedings with Winns could not be any easier. The first step is getting in contact with our team today (using either LiveChat or our claims line), and from there your personal claim handler will keep you up to speed throughout the process. They will arrange for any necessary medical treatment, handle the day-to-day running of your case, and agree the settlement should you be successful.

Can I be sacked for having an accident at work?

If you're worried about the repercussions of having an accident at work and launching a claim, then you can rest easy. Under UK employment law, it is illegal for an employer to dismiss you following a claim for work injury compensation.

If they do, or you suspect that they have let you go as a result of a claim being brought, then you have the right to make a legal claim for unfair dismissal.

What our clients say about us

We help a huge number of clients from across the UK to make personal injury claims each and every year. Here are just a few of the recent reviews that we have received on our five-star rated Trustpilot page;

[Claiming with Winns] was a really easy process, which was unexpected as I had never gone through this before. All letters and emails that were sent out were clear and understandable. If I needed to contact my solicitor for anything I was unsure about, there was never a problem. Everything was explained clearly and the people dealing with my case, including customer service representatives, were friendly and polite throughout the whole duration of my claim.

Laura Shepherd

Do I get paid if I get injured at work?

The amount that you will be paid following an accident at work is dependent on the contract you have signed with your employer. Some companies offer an occupational sickness scheme, with the exact amount of pay due during your recuperation outlined in your contract. If such a scheme is not in place, then you will still be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). Under SSP, you will receive £94.25 per week before tax for up to 28 weeks, so long as you have been unable to work for at least four days in a row.

My case is currently in its early stages, being dealt with by Alex Lawson from the first response team. He has been a great help, very understanding and always available to answer any of my questions. I would recommend using Winn Solicitors.

Miss H. Thomas

I’ve had an accident at work, what are my rights?

It is the responsibility of your employer to make sure that you are kept safe during your time at work, by providing the right equipment and training, as well as creating an environment where you can expect not to come to harm. If they fail in that undertaking, then you, as an employee have certain rights:

  • The right to make a claim
  • The right to be compensated for your injuries and employer's negligence
  • The right to pursue a claim without being treated detrimentally
  • The right to sick pay

Each of these points has been covered within this page, but if you have any questions then please contact the team at Winns.

Without a doubt recommend this company and especially Matthew, he was always keeping me updated, talking me through what was happening three or four times until I understood. Very friendly staff, and excellent customer service. If I couldn’t get hold of anyone I always had a call back within five minutes. Thank you again for everything.

Courtney Evans

Accident at work compensation - FAQs

What should I do after an accident at work?

The first thing you need to do if you are considering making a work injury compensation claim is to inform your employer of the incident ASAP, making sure that they note it in an accident log. If this is not done, then make a record of the accident yourself. A record of the incident can be vital to the success of the case, and you can find further information on what to do if an accident log does not exist on the Citizens Advice website.

The next step should be to see a doctor for an examination. Even if your injuries seem minor, a doctor's assessment will help you to get relevant treatment whilst also counting as a record of injuries.

What happens if I have an accident at work?

If you have an accident at work, then you should start the process of making a claim with Winns. We can take care of everything while you recuperate, including organising any appropriate medical care that you may need, such as physiotherapy. We'll keep you updated every step of the way, so you can focus on getting better and getting back to work.

While you're away, your employer should carry out an investigation into what happened, as well as the cause of your accident. This will help them to identify any shortcomings and see where they can make improvements to prevent further accidents. This can include implementing new training and safety checks, as well as purchasing new equipment.

Thank you everyone at Winn Solicitors, especially my case handlers, for your sense of duty kindness, professionalism, and managing to get my claim secured successfully. Thank you.

Emmanuel Osinibi

Can I claim on a no win, no fee basis?

With Winns, every accident at work compensation claim is carried out on a no win, no fee basis, so you don't have to worry about extra expense upfront. If your case is successful, any costs that have been incurred are recovered from the other side (normally paid from the same employer's liability insurance as your work injury compensation), and we would deduct a success fee from your compensation, as set out in the funding agreement. If for any reason your case is unsuccessful, then you still won’t have to pay a penny, as long as you have followed the terms of our funding agreement.

How much can I claim?

The settlement entitlement for work injury compensation claims varies with each and every case. A number of factors have to be taken into account, such as the severity of the injuries, time away from work, and loss of earnings, to name a few. In order to get a better idea of how much compensation you may be due, speak to a member of Winns' expert team, today.

How long do I have to claim after an accident at work?

In England and Wales, there is a very clear window for making a claim following an accident at work. In most cases, if you do not commence court proceedings within three years of the incident that caused your injuries, then your claim may be considered 'time-barred' and will probably leave you ineligible for compensation. However, there is often a lot of work required before this can be done, so we would always advise you to contact Winns as soon as possible after the incident, to allow us to begin work on your behalf.

If you are unsure about how long ago your accident at work happened, get in touch with Winns today to speak to an advisor.

Polite, honest, trustworthy, helpful and professional. The people at Winns provided me with an outstanding and impeccable service right from the start. I am glad to have chosen them and can't thank them enough.

Jacob Daniel

To make an accident at work compensation claim, get in touch with Winns today. Our team are ready to answer any questions and secure you a settlement after an accident at work.

Read more Workplace news