• An image of a roofer in a high vis vest working on a roof

Construction Accidents

Suffered a non-fault construction site injury at work? Have you been left needing medical attention or missing time at work?

Making a Construction Accident Claim with Winns

Construction sites can be full of potential hazards, and it's your right to make a construction accident claim if you have been injured in an accident while working on site. Whether you have been hit by falling masonry or equipment, operated machinery that caused injury, or were not given the correct safety equipment, you can make a construction accident compensation claim with Winns.

Here's what you need to know:

How can I make a claim for construction accident compensation?

If you have suffered an accident at work on a construction site, then the first thing that you should do is inform your foreman, line manager, or site manager. They should make a note of your accident, the time and location it took place and the circumstances leading to it, in an accident log book. If they do not, then you should be sure to make an account yourself.

You should also speak to colleagues who saw your accident and ask if they will make a witness statement to strengthen your accident compensation claim. Likewise, seeing a doctor, regardless of the severity of your injuries, will give you access to their notes, which can also be invaluable when making a construction accident claim.

Meanwhile, the biggest step in making your claim is getting in touch with Winns. Call or speak to us via LiveChat today and we'll take you through every step of your claim until a construction accident compensation settlement can be reached.

The most common construction accident compensation claims

Accidents at work are more commonplace than you might expect, despite the best efforts of employers to keep their staff as safe as possible.

Some of the most common injuries on construction sites include:

  • Heavy or manual lifting injuries
  • Burns
  • Loss of vision
  • Falls
  • Machinery injuries
  • Electric shocks

There are many other potential injuries that can come from working on a construction site, and if you have suffered in your line of work then contact Winns today. For more information about different types of accidents at work, check the dedicated page from Citizens Advice here.

What our clients say

Winns help thousands of people each year to make a construction accident compensation claim. Our expert team of solicitors and claim handlers do their best to get every person who contacts us the compensation they deserve.

Here are a few of the most recent reviews from our Trustpilot page:

…From the first call I have received nothing but a great customer service. Steve and his colleagues explained everything and supported me through the whole process. [They were] knowledgeable and totally professional.
Steve took time to explain the process of getting my wife's car repaired, which removed the stress. I would certainly use Winns again and recommend anyone to use them. Thank you once again Steve.

Jon Carter

Our first time of having to use a service like this. [They] are straight forward, understanding and very helpful. The TV advert is very true, they sort everything for you from Dr appointments to physiotherapy; they do care about the person in general. I highly recommend Winn Solicitors to anyone looking for that nice and easy way to sort out any claims you may have. Thank you Stephen Barber, your help is greatly appreciated.

Jill Graham

An excellent, professional service. The representative that I dealt with over the phone was extremely courteous and fully aware of my needs. I can honestly say that this company is high on my list of recommendations, and would like to take this opportunity to thank them very much.

Mr D. Barnes

To make your construction accident compensation claim, contact us today.

Who am I making a construction accident claim against?

When you make a construction accident claim, you are not taking money away from your employer. An employer has a duty of care to those it employs, and a responsibility to provide the tools, equipment and training necessary to keep you safe from harm. If you are still injured, then they have failed in that duty of care.

They are also obliged to take out Employers Liability Insurance to cover the cost of claims. It is this insurance which pays out your settlement, so you are not depriving your employer of funds.

Finally, you cannot lose your job for making a claim. Your employer is bound to treat you the same following a claim, and if you are dismissed or discriminated against for your actions, then you are within your rights to take them to a tribunal.

Why make a construction accident compensation claim with Winns?

At Winns, we take care of your claim for construction accident compensation from start to finish. Our team of claims handlers and solicitors will not only be on hand to give you updates and advice, but also to organise any help and treatment that you may need. This may mean arranging a course of physiotherapy or arranging specialist modifications to your home if necessary.

We will also take care of your claim up until the point where a settlement is agreed, so you don't have to worry about the legal process, as it will be in safe hands.

Fantastic service, thumbs up Winn Solicitors. Very fast response from them, very caring, making sure I and my partner are okay. Thank you so much.


Really helpful and understanding. … The person I spoke to at Winn Solicitors was so helpful and understanding it made the experience a little easier.

Kim Haywood

Call or use LiveChat today to start a claim for construction accident compensation with Winns.

Is there a time limit to make a construction accident claim?

Yes, in order to reach a settlement for a construction accident, you must make your claim within three years. If you do not make a construction accident compensation claim within three years, either from the date of the accident or the injury becoming known (conditions such as vibration white finger can take years to manifest), then your claim will be considered time-barred, and will not proceed any further.

It's always best to launch a claim as soon as possible. Speak to Winns today using LiveChat and see how we can help you make your construction accident claim.

Construction accident claims - FAQs

Do I get paid if I get injured at work?

If you have suffered from an accident at work on a construction site then, yes, you should be entitled to subsequent pay. Some companies offer occupational sickness payment plans, the terms of which will be outlined in your contract of employment, along with the monthly amount payable. If your company does not have such a scheme, then you will still be entitled to a statutory sick pay (SSP) of £94.25 per week (before tax) for up to 28 weeks if you are unable to work for at least four consecutive days.

Who can make a construction accident claim?

Anybody who has been working on a construction site and suffered an injury as a result is eligible to seek a settlement. Your employer has a duty of care towards you, and if they fail in ensuring your safety then a claim is vital; not only to get you compensation but to ensure that better safety methods, training and equipment are provided to prevent future accidents.

How much will my claim be worth?

Settlements in construction accident cases differ depending on a number of factors. These include the severity of injuries suffered, their long-term effects, loss of earnings, changes to quality of life and other criteria. All settlements are calculated according to the specifics of each case, and so we cannot tell you exactly how much your claim may be worth.

What regulations should be in place?

There are several regulations that any construction-based employer should be adhering to in order to fulfil their duty of care to employees:

  • Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Regulations
  • Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015
  • Health and Safety at Work Act 1974  
  • Work at Height Regulations 2005
  • Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations 1996
  • Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) 1998
  • Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) 2002
  • Provision and Use of Work Regulations (PUWER) 1998

To find out more about these regulations, and whether your employer was in breach of them when you suffered an injury, speak to a member of the Winn Solicitors team today.

Their first response to my claim has been excellent and much quicker than I thought. […] Any emails I’ve sent have been replied to on the same day and calls answered very quick, without the need to stay on hold for a long time.
This is the 2nd time I have used Winn Solicitors and would definitely use them again. I would recommend highly.

Firat Bilal

Absolute joy to deal with, very professional and absolutely the best choice I could have made in choosing a team to represent me. I cannot champion this company enough.
Totally satisfied and highly recommended.

Paul Royal

To make a claim following an accident on a construction site, call Winns on 0800 988 6288, or use LiveChat to speak to a member of the team ASAP.