13 Mar 2023

An Accident at Work: Which Injuries Need to be Reported?

An accident at work is a shock to all concerned - the people involved and the employer who is potentially responsible for it.

Nobody wants an accident to happen and certainly, no-one involved wants to see an injury sustained as a result.

Accountability in the days and weeks that follow will grow in importance as those it has affected seek to recover and return to a level of normality as quickly as possible.

But would you know what needs to be done after an accident at work?

What needs to be reported?

There is a list of specific injuries that need to be reported, according to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), if they are sustained after an accident at work. These include:

  • Fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs, and toes
  • Amputations
  • Any injury likely to lead to permanent loss of sight or reduction in sight
  • Any crush injury to the head or torso
  • Serious burn injuries
  • Any scalping requiring treatment
  • Any loss of consciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  • Any other injury associated with working in an enclosed space.

There are other injuries and incidents that may require reporting. These can be found in the RIDDOR section of the HSE site.

If the result of the injury sustained leads to over seven consecutive days of being unable to work or perform their normal work duties, then it must be reported within 15 days of the accident itself.

If the result of a workplace accident sees an employee incapacitated for more than three consecutive days, then the accident logbook should be filled in but there isn’t a need to report it unless the time span goes beyond seven days.

What if the accident wasn’t your fault?

If you were involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault at work, you could be eligible to make an employers’ liability claim.

This can provide medical treatment to help you recover from the injuries sustained, and a claim for compensation to adjust your life to a new normal or to help you get back on track.

There are other factors an employers’ liability claim can help with, but it is best to discuss with a legal professional to see what applies in your circumstances.

How can Winns help?

Give the team at Winns a call. We have dedicated professionals on hand who can handle your claim from start to finish, arranging the medical treatment you need while getting the compensation you deserve after an accident that wasn’t your fault.

Working on a no win no fee basis, you don’t pay a penny in upfront costs and we only receive payment for our services from the personal injury compensation agreed. The percentage of that is agreed upon at the outset and doesn’t change regardless of how long the claim takes to complete.

We’re ready to help you get your life back on track after a non-fault accident at work. Start your claim today.

Call now

Share this article

Back to News